I had to mess around for some time to figure out how to get Ubuntu 16.04 to work well, in Asus R558U. Had to mess with some GRUB parameters, and display config file, to get it on track. Below, I am sharing the details of the steps that I followed:
- After, installation, from the first boot-up onwards there were some errors regarding some PCI issue, which happened all the way through booting and in the Virtual terminals as well, this was fixed by adding the GRUB parameter:
This can be added in the /etc/default/grub file, at the end of GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX_DEFAULT line, which usually looks like:
So, after this change it’ll look like:
GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX_DEFAULT=”quiet splash pci=nomsi”
Then we have to run the command:
so as to reflect the changes in GRUB settings.
- The next issue was that the Brightness Fn combinations were not working, experimented with some of the suggested options from various online resources, this is what worked for me:
- At the end of the GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX_DEFAULT line, in /etc/default/grub file, add the following acpi_osi=”, so that the line now looks like:
GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX_DEFAULT=”quiet splash pci=nomsi acpi_osi=””
Note: In the above line, for acpi_osi=” it is two single quotes, and the quote after that is the closing double-quote. Again update GRUB to reflect the new changes:
- Now we have to create the file 20-intel.conf in the directory /usr/share/X11/xorg.conf.d/ with the following content:
Section "Device" Identifier "card0" Driver "intel" Option "Backlight" "intel_backlight" BusID "PCI:0:2:0" EndSection
- Now restart the system, and the Brightness controls should be working at Fn+F5 and Fn+F6, as expected.